Our contact centre is currently experiencing longer than normal wait times. For a faster response, please email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team will respond to you shortly.
2/2020—Extension of standards of training certification and watchkeeping (STCW) certificates
The purpose of this marine notice is to advise flag States, port States, vessel owners, operators, licenced pilots, masters and crews that the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has taken steps to effectively extend the duration of AMSA issued:
- Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) certificates
- certificates of safety training and
- certificates of medical fitness
if they would otherwise expire during the period between 26 March and 1 October 2020.
STCW certificates include a certificate of competency, a certificate of proficiency as rating, a GMDSS radio operator certificate, a certificate of safety or a certificate of proficiency as marine cook.
During this time of uncertainty that has been caused by COVID-19, and in line with the advice from the International Maritime Organization (IMO), AMSA has taken a pragmatic approach to seafarer certification.
As a result, AMSA has implemented arrangements that:
- extend the expiry date of all AMSA issued STCW certificates and associated endorsements, expiring between
- 26 March and 1 October 2020, for a period of six months from the expiry date noted on the certificate
- extend the validity of AMSA issued certificates of safety training, expiring between 26 March and 1 October 2020, for a period of six months from the expiry date
- extend the validity of AMSA issued certificates of medical fitness expiring between 26 March and 1 October 2020, for a period of six months from the expiry date
- enable owners and masters of ships to permit personnel subject to above, to continue performing duties.
There is no requirement for vessel owners, operators or seafarers to apply to AMSA for the above measures to be used.
The above measures apply to all AMSA issued STCW certificates. However, those seafarers who meet the eligibility requirements for revalidation, and have the ability to make an application before the expiry date of the certificate, are strongly encouraged to apply to revalidate their certificate before it expires.
Revalidation of expired certificates
Please note that when the time comes to revalidate an expired certificate, the new replacement certificate will be issued for a period of five years from the original certificate expiry date.
Should you require any further assistance or information, please contact AMSA Connect on 1800 627 484, +61 2 6279 5000 or via email to AMSAConnect@amsa.gov.au