Exemption 8—Marine Safety (Temporary service)
What this exemption will allow you to do
Temporary service permit for voyage or period of time
You may perform the duties or functions without a certificate of competency for a specified operation or a specified period of time (up to 30 days) even though you do not have the required certificate of competency.
You can apply for a temporary service exemption for operation or period of time exemption by completing an application for temporary service (AMSA 778) and submit it to us.
Temporary service exemption following training and final assessment
Once you have finished your training and assessment for a certificate of competency, Exemption 08 may allow you to perform the duties for which the certificate would otherwise be required for up to 60 days while you are waiting on us to decide your certificate of competency application.
This exemption applies to the following certificates of competency:
- Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal
- Marine engine driver grade 2 near coastal
- Coxswain grade 2 near coastal
- Coxswain grade 1 near coastal
- Master less than 24 metres near coastal
- Master (inland waters) near coastal
You do not need approval from us for this type of temporary service exemption, but you will need to have:
- completed the training and assessment for the certificate
- a valid certificate of medical fitness or have made a declaration of medical fitness (depending on the requirements of the certificate)
- a signed statement from an approved final assessor
You will need to keep all the supporting documents on board and ready to be presented to authorities if required.
A person who is operating under this exemption may be considered ‘certificated’ for the purpose of the minimum and appropriate crewing requirements in Marine Order 504.
Legislation and incorporated material
- Marine Order 501 (Administration—National Law)
- Marine Order 504 (Certificates of operation and operation requirements—national law)
- Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency—national law)
- National Standard for Commercial Vessels
- Certificate of competency application (AMSA 426)
- Fees, levies, and payments
- Domestic qualifications
- Tenders and auxiliary vessels