The sea service you need depends on whether you currently hold a Master less than 35 metres near coastal or a Mate less than 80 metres near coastal certificate of competency. All your sea service must be while working on commercial vessels greater than or equal to 24 metres long.
If you hold a Master less than 35 meters near coastal you need to show that you have either:
- 180 days, including 120 days in charge of navigational watch, with a completed approved task book
- 360 days, including 240 days in charge of navigational watch, without a task book.
If you hold a Mate less than 80 metres near coastal you need to show that you have either:
- 360 days as officer of the watch with a completed approved task book
- 720 days as officer of the watch, without a task book.
You must complete at least half of the qualifying sea service required for the certificate in the five years before the application.
If you have completed a task book you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.
If at least half of your sea service is not to seaward of sheltered waters, your certificate will be restricted to sheltered waters.
You must submit a copy of your existing certificate of competency as part of your application.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:
- Record of sea service form 771
- an approved sea service log book
- the on board sea service record from your task book
- a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.
Read more about qualifying sea service.
If you want a task book
You can get a Master <80m Task Book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.
Read more about task books.