You need to show you have experience working at sea in a deck, or a deck and engineering capacity, on vessels greater than or equal to five metres long. You must have completed either:
- 30 days on commercial vessels with a completed approved task book
- 240 days on any vessels without a task book.
You must complete at least half of the qualifying sea service required for the certificate in the five years before the application.
If you have completed a task book you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.
If at least half of your sea service is not to seaward of sheltered waters, your certificate will be restricted to sheltered waters.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:
- Record of sea service form 771
- an approved sea service log book
- the on board sea service record from your task book
- a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.
Read more about qualifying sea service.
If you want a task book
You can get a Coxswain Grade 1 task book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.
Read more about task books.