You need to show you have experience working to seaward of sheltered waters in a deck, or deck and engineering, capacity on vessels greater than or equal to five metres long.
You must have completed either:
- 15 days on commercial vessels with a completed approved task book
- 120 days on any vessels without a task book.
You must complete at least half of the qualifying sea service required for the certificate in the five years before the application.
If you have completed a task book you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:
- Record of sea service form 771
- an approved sea service log book
- the on board sea service record from your task book
- a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.
Read more about qualifying sea service.
If you want a task book
You can get a Coxswain grade 1 task book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.
Read more about task books.