Australian Maritime Safety Authority

International qualification recognition

You can apply to have your qualifications and skills recognised internationally

An approved training organisation can issue you with a corresponding qualification that is recognised in Australia.

Applying for international qualification recognition

To have your international qualification recognised in Australia you will need to apply for skills recognition with an Approved Training Organisation. When you have been issued with a corresponding qualification that is recognised in Australia, you can submit it with your application for a Certificate of Competency.

Any qualifying sea service time that you have accrued either domestically or overseas can be recognised when completing your application. You will need to show evidence of the sea service that you are claiming.

Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act

Under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act, if you hold a maritime qualification in New Zealand you are entitled to be registered in Australia for an equivalent occupation and to carry out that occupation in Australia.

To apply for an Australian recognition, you will need to complete a Notice of Registration and submit it along with your supporting document to the following address:

Seafarer Certification Service
GPO BOX 2181
Canberra City
ACT 2601

For further information in regard to the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act please contact

Related information

Twitter Facebook YouTube Copyright · Accessibility · Site Map · Privacy

Information Publication Scheme Davis Langdon Certification Services