Safe and clean seas, saving lives.
Ensuring safe vessel operations, combatting marine pollution, and rescuing people in distress.
- Professional - We act with integrity and are pragmatic in our approach
- Collaborative - We value and respect others and work together to achieve our objectives
- Dedicated - We are committed to AMSA's mission and responsive to the needs of our customers and stakeholders
- Accountable - We take responsibility for our decisions and actions.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is a statutory authority established under the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Act 1990 (AMSA Act), with the primary role to:
- promote maritime safety and protection of the marine environment
- prevent and combat ship-sourced pollution in the marine environment
- provide infrastructure to support safe navigation in Australian waters
- provide a national search and rescue service to the maritime and aviation sectors
- provide, on request, services to the maritime industry on a commercial basis
- provide, on request, services of a maritime nature on a commercial basis to the Commonwealth and/or states and territories.