Exemptions we may use during the COVID-19 period
We will update this page as information becomes available.
For operators and seafarers that find themselves unable to comply with the National Law due to COVID-19, AMSA has a wide range of National Law Act Exemptions that may be of assistance as follows:
- Temporary crewing permits :This allows you to operate temporarily below the minimum crewing requirements that apply to the vessel if you experience crewing disruptions due to COVID-19.
- Exemption 8- Marine Safety (Temporary Service): This exemption enables masters and crew to temporarily perform functions and duties on a domestic commercial vessel without the required certificate of competency, in specific circumstances (i.e. due to COVID-19).
- Exemption 6 Marine Safety (Periodic survey, equipment certification and compass adjustment):This exemption allows for flexibility for owners as to when their vessel undergoes periodic or loadline surveys, or more time to obtain a new certificate of currency for equipment, or to operate their vessel without compass adjustments that would otherwise be required.
- Exemption 7—Marine Safety (Temporary operations): This exemption is for owners and accredited marine surveyors of domestic commercial vessels who need to be able to operate temporarily without having the required certificates.
- Suspend a certificate of survey and/or load line certificate: You can apply to suspend your certificate for up to 18 months.