Changes to temporary operations without a certificate of competency
The updated exemption automatically applies to those eligible.
Eligible domestic seafarers can continue temporary operations for up to 90 days if they have completed training and assessment and applied for their CoC with AMSA. This will allow them to start performing the duties allowed under the certificate while they wait for it to be issued.
However, this only applies to the following CoCs:
- Marine engine driver grade 3 near coastal
- Marine engine driver grade 2 near coastal
- Coxswain grade 2 near coastal
- Coxswain grade 1 near coastal
- Master less than 24 metres near coastal
- Master (inland waters) near coastal.
The 90-day timeframe will also apply to those who apply to renew their CoC before their certificate expires and are waiting for AMSA to issue their certificate.
A renewal application can be lodged up to 12 months after a CoC has expired, but if the application is lodged after the expiry, the seafarer must wait until they receive their renewed CoC before performing the duties covered by the certificate.