New National Safety Committee focuses on safer vessels and operations
In setting up the committee, our aim was to have national representation, diverse perspectives and experience. We sought nominations from groups across the maritime, safety and related industries with deep experience and knowledge in their sectors and a focus on wide representation. We received 37 applications from interested parties, with 14 representative groups selected as members for the next two years.
The committee complements the Regional Safety Committees established earlier this year and will focus on safety and environmental issues common to domestic commercial vessel operations across Australia. Its role is to inform effective policy, regulations and standards with the aim of bringing those who work on domestic commercial vessels home safely.
As a regulator, we need to work closely with industry to ensure we understand their challenges and issues and that regulatory solutions are practical and proportionate.
Members of the National Safety Committee include:
- Steven Moon, Director and Deputy Chair—Association of Marine Park Tourism Operators (QLD)
- Susan Hull, Chief Executive Officer—Australasian Institute of Marine Surveyors
- Jeremy Spear, President—Australian International Marine Export Group; Australian Commercial Marine Group and Super Yacht Australia
- Henning Christiansen—Director Professional Development—Australian Institute of Marine and Power Engineers and Australian Maritime Officers Union
- Matthew Semmens, Victorian Squadron Commodore—Australian Volunteer Coast Guard
- Darren Vaux, President—Boating Industry Association Ltd
- John Kavadis, General Manager—Fischer Group
- Angela Gillham, Deputy Chief Executive Officer—Maritime Industry Australia Ltd
- Paul Garrett, Assistant Secretary Sydney Branch—Maritime Union of Australia
- Alastair Martin, Member of the Marine Working Group—Safer Together (WA)
- Veronica Papacosta, Chief Executive Officer—Seafood Industry Australia
- Chris Ha, National Marine Compliance Manager—Sealink Travel Group Pty Ltd
- Karl Krause, Incoming President—Tasmanian Rock Lobster Fishermen’s Association
- Mark Anderson, Programme Manager—Torres Strait Regional Authority
The first meeting will be held on 3 December 2020 and outcomes will be shared with wider industry.
Read more about the committee and its members.