Dory safety checklist
Before you use a dory, perform a few checks to ensure your safety out on the water.
28 November 2019
Read your Safety Management System
- Prepare your vessel
- Have a maintenance plan
- Is the tender in good condition?
- Does it need any repairs?
- Before you go
- TELL SOMEONE where you are going and when you will return
- Check weather forecast
- Bilges are clean and dry
- Is everything secure?
- Do you have enough food and water?
- Do you have sufficient fuel for the trip?
- Are all batteries charged?
- Check your safety equipment:
- Bailing system including bilge pump
- Communication equipment (VHF, satellite phone etc.)
- EPIRB or PLB
- Flares – red distress and orange smoke
- Anchor and enough rope/chain
- Automatic Identification System (AIS) transponder
- Secondary means of propulsion
- Waterproof torch
- First aid kit
- Appropriate clothing and PPE (hat, sunglasses, gloves, sunscreen etc.)
- When at sea:
- Wear your lifejacket
- Keep a good lookout
- Check your weight. What is the maximum loading of the dory?
- Know the radio channel you are working on
- Know where you are at all times
- Check for navigational hazards
- Monitor fuel use
2 December 2019