Marine radio qualifications

Learn your options for fulfilling the mandatory requirement to hold a radio operation qualification..

The National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D, Crew Competencies requires that you hold either a Marine radio operators VHF certificate of proficiency (MROVCP) or a Marine radio operators certificate of proficiency (MROCP) depending on the certificate of competency you apply for. These two certificates are now named the:

  • Short range operator certificate of proficiency (SROCP)
  • Long range operator certificate of proficiency (LROCP)

For the purposes of applying for a certificate of competency, MROVCP is considered equivalent to SROCP, and MROCP is considered equivalent to LROCP.

Getting a short range or long range operator certificate of proficiency

The Office of Maritime Communications at the Australian Maritime College is responsible for the management of all functions associated with marine radio examinations and certification services in Australia.

Using an overseas certificate

If you wish to operate a marine radio in Australia using your overseas certificate, you should submit it to the Australian Communications and Media Authority for assessment. You cannot obtain an Australian certificate on the basis of your overseas certificate.

Important disclaimer

These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and the National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D, Crew Competencies (PDF 148.55 KB). Please refer to these documents for full details of eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.

More information

For more infomation about licensing radiocommunications devices in Australia visit the Australian Communications and Media Authority.

Last updated: 

Tuesday 18 October 2022