General and specific exemptions
The national law allows us, in certain cases, to grant exemption from the national law or parts of the national law.
There are two types of exemption under the national law:
- Specific exemptions—these may be granted on application in accordance with the regulations. These regulations are contained in Marine Order 501 (National law — administration) 2013.
- General exemptions—these typically apply to vessels, persons, and operations that meet the relevant criteria and conditions in the general exemption. Read about the National law general exemptions.
Apply for an exemption
- Submit an application form. You will need to submit the form that relates to the exemption you are applying for. Download the form relevant to your exemption from the list below.
- Follow the lodgement details on the form.
- Pay any required fees.
Exemption application forms
Vessel related exemptions
- Exemption 02—Marine Safety (Certificates of survey)
- Exemption 04—Recreational use exemption
- Exemption 06—Operate outside certificate of survey conditions application form 776
- Exemption 07—Temporary operations exemption application form 777
- Exemption 24—Emergency service vessels exemption application form 792
- Exemption 40—Marine Safety (Class C restricted operations)
Operations related exemptions
- Exemption 03—Certificate of operation exemption
- Exemption 09—Temporary crewing exemption application form 779