Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Provisional Registration Certificates (PRC)

The purpose of this page is to provide an outline of the process of granting a provisional registration certificate. The grant of a Provisional Registration Certificate is described fully in sections 22, 22A and 22B of the Shipping Registration Act 1981 and Shipping Registration Regulations 14 and 15 of the Shipping Registration Regulations 1981.


A Provisional Registration Certificate (PRC) is a temporary navigation document for use prior to the permanent registration of a ship or to replace a lost Registration Certificate.

Where and how granted

Both the Registrar of Ships and a proper officer of an Australian Embassy or High Commission can grant a PRC for

  • an unregistered ship that becomes entitled to be registered while abroad
  • an unregistered ship that is to depart from an Australian port to a place outside Australia
  • a registered ship as a temporary replacement for a Registration Certificate.

It is suggested that, where an application for a PRC is lodged with a proper officer of an Australian Embassy or High Commission, the applicant, Embassy or High Commission official e-mail the documents to for review. The Registrar of Ships will then advise that the documentation is in order or if any further documents are required for the issue of the Provisional Registration Certificate.

Please be aware that a PRC can be granted for an unregistered ship only if an application for permanent registration has been lodged with the Registrar of Ships or with the proper officer of the Australian Embassy or High Commission. These documents must include at least the:

  • Application for Provisional Registration Certificate
  • Application for Registration
  • Declaration of Ownership and Nationality
  • Appointment of Registered Agent
  • Proof of Ownership
  • Closure document (if applicable)
  • Lodgement fee

The Application

An application consists of:

  • The completed application form
  • Lodgement fee
  • The tonnage certificate (if any) that is in force in relation to the ship
  • The instrument (if any) by which ownership of the ship passed to the person named as owner in the application
  • Where the ship has at any time been registered under the law of a foreign country, documentary evidence that the ship is no longer registered under that law, or documentary evidence that steps have been taken, or are proposed to be taken, to close the registration of the ship under the law of that country on or before the grant of the PRC. Warning: A Certificate cannot be granted before the closure of a foreign registration. If you want the grant of a Certificate to coincide with the closure of a foreign registration, please make arrangements for the foreign registry to supply a written undertaking to close registration on or before a specified date.

The application will need to be signed by the ship's owner and may be lodged either with the Registrar of Ships or an Australian Embassy or High Commission office.


A PRC is valid for 6 months from the date of issue or until the ship arrives in an Australian port, whichever is the sooner.

If necessary, the owner or master may apply to the Registrar for an extension of the PRC. The application for extension must be made before the PRC expires. The extension fee is $A222.


The GST does not apply to services supplied by the Shipping Registration Office.

The lodgement fee is $A333 for the PRC and $2664 for permanent registration.

Cheques should be made payable to: Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Contact Shipping Registration at AMSA

back to top

Twitter Facebook YouTube Copyright · Accessibility · Site Map · Privacy

Information Publication Scheme Davis Langdon Certification Services