Where you believe we have not met your expectations or not conducted ourselves as outlined in our service charter, we support your right to make a complaint. We are committed to treating complaints seriously, dealing with them quickly, fairly and learning from them.
What you need to know before lodging a complaint
If you are not happy with the service received:
- Try to resolve the issue with the staff member you have been dealing with or contact AMSA Connect and a staff member will try to assist you.
- If you're not satisfied, talk to that staff member's manager.
- If you're still not satisfied, consider making a formal complaint.
We have dedicated forms for complaints or feedback relating to the following areas:
Lodging your complaint
To lodge your complaint:
- In writing
Chief Executive Officer
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
GPO Box 2181
Canberra ACT 2601
- Email AMSAConnect@amsa.gov.au
How we treat your complaint
Once you've lodged a complaint, a staff member (resolver) assigned to your complaint will aim to contact you within five working days. The resolver may need to speak to you to confirm your identity if they need to access and discuss your personal information. They will work closely with you and may request you to provide further details to finalise the complaint. The resolver will aim to resolve your complaint in 20 working days.
You can call AMSA Connect and we will direct you to the officer handling your complaint for a progress update.
During the complaint resolution process the resolver will:
- keep you informed of the progress
- allow you the opportunity to provide additional information or comments before finalising the complaint
- provide you with a clear and concise explanation of the action taken to resolve the complaint and the reasons for the decision
- provide further information about further rights of review, including approaching other agencies such as the Commonwealth Ombudsman where you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint.
When interacting with us you can expect us to:
- treat you with courtesy, consideration and respect
- listen to you
- take all reasonable steps to resolve your issue
- keep you informed of progress.
When interacting with us we expect you to:
- provide timely and accurate information
- treat our staff with courtesy and respect
- be honest and fair in your dealings with us
- tell us if you need help to address your complaint—such as using an interpreter or someone who is authorised to make enquiries or act on your behalf.
Other avenues available to you
AMSA will investigate your complaint. However, if you're not satisfied with the way that we have handled your complaint, you may contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
To contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman:
- Write to
GPO Box 442
CANBERRA ACT 2601
- Phone 02 6276 0111 or toll free 1300 362 072