Commercial fisherman

If you're a commercial fisherman, you will need to be aware of developments in the industry, safety and compliance requirements and the needs of your crew.

Find qualifications and training materials so you can make sure you and your crew are qualified to do their jobs on your vessel. You'll need to make sure your vessel is compliant and you have fulfilled all of your safety obligations under Australian standards and regulations.

Free workshop in Mackay

We're holding a free workshop for commercial fishermen on Tuesday 30 January in Mackay. Find out more about the Commercial vessel risk and safety management workshop.

Latest case study—safety culture aboard trawlers

Check out our latest safety story, a video about a man-overboard incident in Western Australia. It could have been a lot worse if Mareterram Limited had not improved their safety systems.

Qualifications and training

To be able to work on a commercial fishing vessel, there are standards of professional competency you must achieve. You can work as a skipper, officer in charge of a navigational watch, engineer, or deck hand.

Find out how to get qualified to work on a commercial fishing vessel.

You will also need to gain a domestic certificate of competency for the position you are working in on a commercial fishing vessel. Find out how to qualify for your certificate of competency.

Registration of your vessel

If you own or operate a commercial fishing vessel, you might consider registering it on the Australian general shipping register. Registration of your vessel makes certain safeguards and benefits available to you as the owner or operator of a registered commercial fishing vessel.

Find out more about registering your fishing vessel.

Vessel compliance

If you own a commercial fishing vessel, you will need to make sure it is compliant under Australian and international standards and legislation.

Find out more about keeping your vessel compliant.

Travelling in the exclusive economic zone

Domestic commercial fishing vessels can travel between the exclusive economic zone around Norfolk Island and the Australian mainland, but you'll need to have the correct Certificate of survey.

Find out how to apply for recognition, and read more about commercial fishing vessels travelling in the exclusive economic zone.

Report pollution

As a commercial fisherman you have a responsibility not to pollute the sea. Make sure you know about the regulations and laws governing garbage management, and the restrictions on oil and garbage pollution from fishing vessels.

Find out the limitations on pollution from fishing vessels.

Last updated: 22 January 2018
Last reviewed: 22 January 2018