You need to show you have experience working on commercial vessels at least 12 metres long, while holding a Master less than 24 metres near coastal, Mate less than 80 metres near coastal, or a certificate AMSA considers equivalent.
You can reduce the amount of sea service you need by completing an AMSA task book.
With a completed AMSA task book you will need:
- 180 days
- including 120 days in charge of a navigational watch
Without an AMSA task book you will need:
- 360 days
- including 240 days in charge of a navigational watch
If you have completed a task book, you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.
You must submit a copy of your existing certificate with your application.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:
- Record of sea service form 771
- the on board sea service record from your task book
- a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.
- an approved sea service log book
Read more about qualifying sea service.
If you want a task book
You can get a Master <45m task book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.
Transitional arrangement: If you have a Master <35m task book, with a version number 2.0 January 2017 or later, you can use this to apply for your Master less than 45 metre certificate.
Read more about task books.