You need to show you have 120 days at sea, as officer of the watch, in the last 5 years.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:
- Record of sea service form 771
- an approved sea service task book
- a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service
- a declaration acceptable to AMSA.
If you do not have the required sea service you must provide evidence of one of the following:
- completed an approved final assessment (you can request this option in your application)
- at least 60 days sea service in the last 6 months
- for a seasonal fisher, you must have worked in a seasonal fishery for at least 120 days in the 5 years before the application
- other approved industry experience (e.g. state or territory marine safety agency assessor, fleet manager, shore-side servicing, maritime studies teacher at a registered training organisation, marine surveyor)
- a Master <45m task book completed since obtaining your Master less than 45 metres near coastal.
If you want a task book
You can get a Master <45m task book from us or from some registered training organisations.
To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.
Read more about task books.