You will need to have completed at least 12 months sea service as an officer in charge of a navigation watch on vessels greater than or equal to 12 metres, while holding one of these certificates:
- Watchkeeper deck <3000GT (Yachts) Certificate of Competency
- Basic safety training, including security awareness training
- Advanced fire fighting
- Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats
- Medical care on board ships
- Navigational watch rating.
You will need to provide evidence that you have completed the following:
- At least 4 months served on vessels greater than or equal to 20 metres
- At least 4 months served on voyages of at least 24 hours duration.
All sea service must be documented qualifying sea service.
Read more about sea service.
How to apply for sea service assessment
You will need to complete this sea service and then submit a Seafarer form 419 to us so we can assess your sea service and issue you with an AMSA assessment letter. This letter is the evidence you need to prove that you have met the sea service requirements for your qualification. This letter will also instruct you to complete your oral examination.