A VTS authority may on their own initiative apply to have amendments made to their instrument of authority. For example:
- to change the boundaries of the VTS area
- to change the description of the VTS services to be provided
- to change details in the instrument of authority that are no longer accurate, or
- to include any other details it considers necessary.
We may also at any time amend an instrument of authority to change details or impose further conditions on the VTS authority as required. A formal 90 day notification process between the VTS authority and State/Territory agency responsible for maritime safety will occur if we need to amend the instrument.
Assessment of the amendments
We will assess the proposed amendments against the following criteria:
- The amendment is consistent with the objective of improving the safety and efficiency of the vessel traffic and protecting the environment; and
- The applicant can continue to meet the responsibilities of a VTS authority mentioned in IMO Resolution A.857(20) Guidelines for Vessel Traffic Services when operating the vessel traffic service.