You need to show you have experience working at sea as a general purpose hand, as a Coxswain grade 2 or 1 near coastal, or assisting an engineer, while on vessels with propulsion power greater than or equal to 75 kilowatts. You must have completed either:
- 10 days on commercial vessels with inboard diesel engines, with a completed approved task book
- 30 days on vessels with inboard diesel engines, without a task book.
You must complete at least half of the qualifying sea service required for the certificate in the five years before the application.
If you have completed a task book you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:
- Record of sea service form 771
- an approved sea service log book
- the on board sea service record from your task book
- a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.
Read more about qualifying sea service.
Get a task book
To remove this restriction you may complete a Marine engine driver grade 3 task book. You can get a Marine engine driver grade 1 task book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.
Read more about task books.