You need to show you have experience working on a vessel to seaward of sheltered waters in a deck, or deck and engineering capacity. You must have completed either:
- 60 days on commercial vessels greater than or equal to 7.5 metres long with a completed approved task book
- 300 days of which at least half must be on vessels greater than or equal to 7.5 metres long, at least half on commercial vessels, and up to half on recreational vessels greater than or equal to 5 metres long, without a task book.
You must complete at least half of the qualifying sea service required for the certificate in the five years before the application.
If you have completed a task book you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:
- Record of sea service form 771
- an approved sea service log book
- the on board sea service record from your task book
- a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.
Read more about qualifying sea service.
If you want a task book
You can get a Master <24m task book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.
Read more about task books.