Shipping management plans
Shipping management plans are put in place to strengthen ship safety and encourage environmental protection.
We work with the International Maritime Organization and Australian state and federal government partners to:
- ensure safe shipping management arrangements and protection of the marine environment
- continue to strengthen ship safety and environment protection we develop shipping management plans when required.
North-East Shipping Management Plan
The Great Barrier Reef, Torres Strait and Coral Sea are among the best protected waters in the world.
With the support of other Australian and Queensland Government agencies, industry and key interest groups we have developed the North-East Shipping Management Plan.
The plan contains a work program of 63 activities which:
- manage future increases in shipping traffic
- ensure the safety of shipping
- prevent ship-sourced pollution and other environmental impacts.
The plan is aligned with the Reef 2050 Long-Term Sustainability Plan—a framework for protecting and managing the Great Barrier Reef between now and 2050.
North-East Shipping Management Group
The North-East Shipping Management Group (NESMG) implements the work program activities. The group is made up of executives from Australian and Queensland Government agencies. It meets to review progress and changes in ship traffic patterns to ensure appropriate measures are in place to manage those changes.
The NESMG publish progress reports. Read the latest status reports of the North-East Shipping Management Plan work program.