New arrangements for maritime casualties and pollution events
New role of AMSA's Response Centre
The Response Centre will now:
- lead the triage and initial response to maritime casualties in Australian waters
- issue all alert, stand-up, on task and demobilisation directions to Emergency Towage Vessel (ETV) operators.
The Response Centre Duty Manager will now:
- determine and implement response options
- call on AMSA and external subject matter experts as needed.
An Incident Management Team may be established from the subject matter experts. The Maritime Casualty Coordination Cell used to manage this process.
Link between maritime casualties and pollution events
Maritime casualties often happen before a marine pollution event. If we respond early and appropriately to a maritime casualty, we could prevent a pollution event.
The National Plan for Maritime Environmental Emergencies recognises the link between marine casualties and pollution events.
How to contact AMSA's Response Centre
You can either:
- call 02 6230 6811 or 1800 641 792
- email firstname.lastname@example.org