Shining a light on Point Moore Lighthouse refurbishment
As Australia’s first lighthouse made entirely of steel, its preservation and maintenance is important to us because of its aid to navigation (AtoN) role and heritage significance.
Work is about to start on the refurbishment of the lantern room and a full internal repaint involving the removal of the existing lead coating.
Our AtoN team is managing the job, with a temporary AtoN established while the contractor is on site.
We have appointed a member of its maintenance panel (WA-based Duratec Australia Pty Ltd) to undertake this specialist work expected to take several months to complete.
At 30 metres tall, the Point Moore lighthouse is one of Australia’s most recognisable, warning vessels of the reef and series of sand bars below the point for more than 130 years.
First established in 1876, it was prefabricated in London and shipped to Australia in 192 parts for assembly on site.
The tower is made up of cast iron segmented panel sections bolted together to form 15 segmented rings.
It has seen numerous upgrades, with the original light removed when the lamp was converted from a kerosene wick to an incandescent mantle in 1911.
In 1958 the light was converted to electricity and currently has a light range of 19 nautical miles.
The characteristic daymark of four red and three white bands was added in 1969.