Master less than 35 metres near coastal
This domestic qualification lets you command a vessel less than 35 metres near coastal.
Master less than 35 metres near coastal is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013.
What will this certificate allow me to do?
The Master less than 35 metres near coastal will allow you to work as:
- master on commercial vessels up to 35 metres long within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- master on vessels up to 80 metres long in inshore waters
- chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 80 metres long within the EEZ.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for a Master less than 35 metres near coastal certificate you must:
- be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date
- hold either a Master less than 24 metres near coastal or Mate less than 80 metres near coastal certificate of competency
- meet medical, eyesight, sea service and course requirements.
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D—Crew competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.