Mate less than 80 metres near coastal

This domestic qualification lets you be second in command of a vessel less than 80 metres long.

Mate up to 80 metres near coastal (NC) is a domestic certificate of competency issued under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency national law) 2013.

What will this certificate allow me to do?

The Mate less than 80 metres NC will allow you to be second in command of a commercial vessel up to 80 metres long operating within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for a Mate less than 80 metres NC certificate you must be at least 16 years of age by the certificate issue date.

You must also meet medical, sea service and course requirements. The requirements depend on whether you are getting a certificate for the first time or renewing an existing certificate.

Each requirement and how to prove that you meet them is explained in these instructions.

Contact your state or territory marine safety agency if you need to:

  • replace your certificate
  • apply for equivalence
  • remove a restriction on your certificate
  • change your personal details on your certificate.

Find your local marine safety agency.

Changes from 1 July

From 1 July 2018 all certificates of competency will be issued by AMSA. Information about the process for all certificates of competency, including new forms and how to apply, will be made available on 1 July 2018.

Important disclaimer

These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency national law) 2013 and National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D, Crew Competencies. These documents have full details of the eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.

What type of qualification do you need?

New certificate

What do I need to do?

To obtain this certificate you will need to:

Renew certificate

A Mate up to 80 metres NC certificate of competency expires 5 years after it is issued or renewed.

What do I need to do?

To renew this certificate you will need to: