Revalidation of Engineer certificates of competency

Get your Engineer certificate of competency revalidated before it expires.

If you hold an Engineer certificate of competency you should apply to us to revalidate your certificate before it expires, if it has not been suspended or revoked. Whether your certificate is valid, or has expired, the revalidation requirements are the same.

You must complete a sea service and course component to revalidate your certificate. Read more about how to revalidate your Engineer certificate of competency:

Continued competence courses

Australia is a party to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW). Under this convention, we comply with the standards required in STCW A-1/11. These standards require all seafarers to demonstrate continued professional competence in safety of life at sea and security. Completion of these courses is commonly known as a demonstration of continued competence.

Medical course component

Under the standards in the STCW, there is no requirement for revalidation of first aid, medical first aid, and medical care certificates. You should undergo refresher courses every 5 years to allow you to maintain and increase your knowledge and skills to keep up-to-date with new developments. Refer to Maritime Labour Convention 2006 Regulation 4.1, Guideline B4.1 Medical care on board ship.

Revalidating from overseas

If you hold a Certificate of safety training and live overseas you can still revalidate your certificate. You must meet the sea service requirement, but we will accept refresher training conducted with an administration we have an agreement with. Read Country eligibility for Certificates of recognition.

You will need to meet a number of requirements before we can accept refresher courses you have completed overseas:

  • Be a resident overseas—permanently living in a country other than Australia.
  • Make sure you are doing the course in a country which has an agreement with Australia.
  • Contact that country’s flag State administration to obtain information regarding the location of an approved course provider.
  • On completion of the course, obtain a course completion certificate.
  • You must obtain a letter from the overseas course provider that states the course is approved by the administration of that country and you have attended the course.

We recognise these courses from countries with which we hold an agreement, if the applicant meets the above requirements:

Certificate type

STCW short courses

(approved by an administration with which we have an agreement)

Certificate of safety training

  1. Personal survival techniques (STCW section A-VI/1, paragraph and
  2. Fire prevention and fire fighting (STCW section A-VI/1, paragraph

Certificate of proficiency as rating

  1. Fire prevention and fire fighting (STCW section A-VI/1, paragraph and
  2. Certificate of proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (STCW section A-VI/2 paragraphs 1 to 4)

Certificate of competency – Master, Deck and Engineer officers

  1. Certificate of proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (STCW section A-VI/2 paragraphs 1 to 4) and
  2. Advanced fire fighting (STCW section A-VI/3)

Certificates of proficiency in fast rescue boats

Fast rescue boats (STCW section A-VI/2 paragraphs 7 to 10)

Security awareness training endorsement

Security awareness training (STCW section A-VI/6 paragraph 4)

Advanced training for oil tanker endorsement

Advanced training for oil tankers (STCW section A-V/1-1 paragraph 2)

Advanced training for chemical tanker endorsement

Advanced training for chemical tankers (STCW section A-V/1-1 paragraph 3)

Advanced training for gas tanker endorsement

Advanced training for gas tanker endorsements (STCW section A-V/1-2 paragraph 2)

Advanced training for IGF code endorsement

Advanced training for IGF code endorsement (STCW section A-V/3 paragraph 2)

Recognition of an equivalent function

We do recognise some equivalent functions if you work in the below occupations:

  • Technical, engineering, and marine superintendents
  • Surveyors (ie inspectors) appointed under the Navigation Act 2012 (the Act) or working for a recognised organisation as defined by the Act
  • Lecturers in AMSA approved Registered training organisations.

To be assessed for the above you will need to lodge a Seafarer form 419 along with proof of at least 2½  years’ service in the five years immediately preceding application. This service must have been completed in the type of positions identified above from a non-seagoing sector of the maritime industry. We will require a statement from the employer organisation, written on company letterhead paper which demonstrates that you have maintained your professional competence and you will be capable of exercising the full capacity, function levels and limitations applying to your certificate. When preparing the statement, reference should be made to the criteria outlining the revalidation course for Engineer officers. You can find this criteria in the syllabus document.

In our assessment of the submission for full revalidation, we will consider whether a full or partial revalidation training course is required.

All revalidation course completions, where applicable, must be completed within 5 years of application.

You may be required to complete the full Certificate of proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats and Advanced fire fighting STCW short courses depending on your employment history.

To revalidate and upgrade your Engineer STCW 78 certificate (issued prior to 1 Feb 2002) you must meet all the general revalidation requirements and prove completion of one of the following:

  • 12 months’ sea service on vessels over 750 kilowatts in the previous 5 years. If your college course was completed prior to September 1998, you must complete a practical hands on electrical/electronics course (minimum of 2 days duration). If your college course was completed prior to 1997, you must complete an ISM code course (minimum of 4 hours duration).
  • complete of an AMSA approved STCW 78, as amended, revalidation course within 12 months of application.
  • pass a full oral examination relevant to the grade and sub-grade of certificate conducted by an AMSA examiner. Complete the STCW short courses, Advanced fire fighting, and Proficiency in survival craft and medical first aid at sea.
  • provide clear evidence of ongoing approved professional development (eg completion of a higher grade certificate course) covering at least the revalidation components specified above within the last five years.

If you hold an Engineer watchkeeper certificate (issued prior to 1 February 2002) you must also prove completion of an Advanced fire fighting course.

Revalidation of steam or motor Engineer certificate of competency

To revalidate Engineer steamship or motorship certificates, you can use service on ships with either steam or motor main propulsion machinery. The propulsion power of the ship is not considered relevant.

Revalidation of more than one Engineer certificate of competency

If you hold two certificates of differing grade and sub-grade, you can present both certificates for revalidation at the same time. Each certificate will attract a revalidation fee.

If you hold two certificates of the same grade and differing sub-grade, you can present both certificates for revalidation at the same time and we will issue you with a combined certificate. If we issue you with a combined certificate, you will only need to pay one revalidation fee.

Acceptance of sea service completed on different vessels

Tugs and Sydney Harbour ferries

Service on tugs and Sydney Harbour ferries of at least 750 kilowatts propulsion power is acceptable for the revalidation of all grades and sub-grades of Engineer certificates.

Other vessels

Based on the qualifying sea service requirements as defined in Schedule 4 of Marine Order 72 (Engineer officers) 2014, the service on the following vessels with auxiliary machinery or propulsion power greater than 750 kilowatts is acceptable for revalidation purposes:

  • commercial yachts
  • FPSOs and OSIMUs
  • high speed craft and similar vessels for delivery voyages
  • time spent on vessel for trials
  • bunker barges and the like.

Last updated: 

Tuesday 8 December 2020