Sea service on large yachts

If you have worked on a privately owned large yacht, you can use this towards your sea service for your domestic qualifications.

The requirements for qualifying sea service are set out in the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D—crew competencies.

Service that can be accrued on a large yacht

We will recognise all sea service that has been accured on a large yacht. It must align with the sea service requirements of the certificate of competency that you are applying for, including:

  • duration and frequency of voyages
  • the kinds of duties performed
  • the level of responsibility that you had during the service.

You will be required to provide further evidence detailing the commercial nature of the sea service and the period of time you were employed.

You need to submit at least one of the following:

  • A letter from the vessel owner/operator confirming that the applicant was in paid employment, details of the vessel and the nature and period of employment.
  • An original or copy of the employment contract which clearly identifies the vessel(s), duties to be undertaken and the period of the contract.
  • An original or copies of pay slips and the pay period.

If you are not sure if your yacht is eligible, find out what is a large yacht?

Last updated: 30 October 2017
Last reviewed: 30 October 2017