Change of ownership for a domestic commercial vessel
Transferring ownership—what you need to do with certificates and permits if you are buying or selling a commercial vessel.
What you need to do as the seller of a commercial vessel
When you sell a vessel, there are some certificates and existing approvals you can transfer to the new owner, and some you cannot.
You can vary the certificate or approval using the application to vary a vessel certificate or approval form 566 if the vessel has a:
- certificate of survey
- load line certificate
- class C restricted approval and/or
- non-survey approval.
A certificate of operation cannot be transferred.
If the vessel being sold is listed on a certificate of operation, the seller may need to:
- vary their certificate of operation to remove the vessel using the application to vary a certificate of operation form 549, or
- if the certificate is no longer needed, revoke it using the application to suspend or revoke a certificate or approval form 600.
What to do as the buyer of a commercial vessel
A buyer can:
- add the vessel to their existing certificate of operation by using the application to vary a certificate of operation form 549—if the vessel to be added has the same, or lower, service category (class) and operation type as a vessel already listed on the certificate, or
- apply for a new certificate using the application for a certificate of operation form 504—if they do not have an existing certificate of operation or, the vessel to be added is of a higher service category (class) and operation type to the vessel(s) already listed on the existing certificate.