Class C restricted operations permit

Vessels that want to operate under Exemption 40 need to meet the criteria and conditions of the exemption and obtain approval from us.

Marine Safety (Class C restricted operations) Exemption 2017 (also known as an exemption 40 arrangement, or EX40) exempts certain non-passenger or fishing vessels (less than 12 metres) which operate in C restricted, D and E waters from the requirement to have a certificate of survey, subject to conditions relating to equipment requirements and the design and construction of the vessel.

A requirement of Marine Safety (Class C restricted operations) Exemption 2017 is that the vessel must undergo an initial inspection and a five-yearly (in and out of water) inspection to determine if the vessel complies with the design, construction and equipment requirements set out in this exemption. 

My Boat is an online application which will help you to understand the requirements of class C vessels and your vessel suitability.

Apply for a class C restricted operations permit

  1. Contact your accredited marine surveyor about having an inspection of your vessel conducted.
  2. Submit the inspection of an EX40 vessel form 650 and application for class C restricted operations form 523.
  3. Pay any required fees.

Applications and payments must be made to your local marine safety agency.    

Read the instruction to surveyors DCV-ITS-007 for more information about the survey of vessels applying to operate under Exemption 40.

Last updated: 15 March 2018
Last reviewed: 15 March 2018