Published on Australian Maritime Safety Authority (

Scenario 4: A RAV no longer wants to operate on international voyages

Follow these steps if your RAV is no longer carrying out commercial operations outside the Australian Economic Exclusion Zone (EEZ) or it's being brought to Australia to operate as a DCV.

Step 1: Notify your recognised organisation (RO) and AMSA

Notify the RO you are in class with that you intend to transfer to a domestic commercial vessel (DCV) and provide us with details of your intended operations.

The RO will revoke any safety certificates they have issued to the vessel. MARPOL pollution certificates and the International Tonnage Certificate may be retained.

Step 2: Meet requirements for operating a DCV

Find out what you need to do to operate a DCV

Step 3: Return Navigation Act certificates

If the vessel has Navigation Act 2012 certificates issued by AMSA, return the original certificates to:  

Attention: Ship Inspections, Flag State Control
GPO Box 2181, Canberra ACT 2601


Contact AMSA Connect if you have questions about this process.
Last updated: 11 January 2024