Published on Australian Maritime Safety Authority (

Certificate of equivalence

How to obtain a certificate of equivalence.

If you are serving on a ship registered in the Australian International Shipping Register (AISR) and do not hold a primary certificate or certificate of recognition issued by AMSA, you will need to hold a certificate of equivalence. A certificate of equivalence is only valid for service on a ship registered on the AISR.

How do I get a certificate of equivalence?

When applying for a certificate of equivalence, you must:

Master and Deck officers are also required to hold a valid Global maritime distress and safety systems (GMDSS) radio operator’s certificate or GMDSS certificate of recognition.

Deck and Engineer officers must pass an assessment in Australian maritime regulatory framework. This is a supervised on-line assessment conducted at an approved examination centre.

Read more about the application and assessment processes for a certificate of equivalence PDF520.36 KB.

Apply for your certificate of equivalence using Application for a certificate of equivalence form 326.

There are charges for international certificates, read more about the schedule of charges.

Interim certificates of equivalence

If you apply for a certificate of equivalence, you may be issued an Interim certificate of equivalence. The Interim certificate of equivalence may be issued for a period up to three months. During this time you may serve on ships registered on the AISR. This allows you time to provide the necessary documentary evidence for issue of a certificate of equivalence.

Interim certificates of equivalence will not be issued if you hold a position as:

Officers performing, or intending to perform, these duties on a ship registered on the AISR will need to hold a certificate of competency, a certificate of recognition or a certificate of equivalence issued by us.

Last updated: 27 October 2020