AMSA business policy
AMSA’s mission is ensuring safe vessel operations, combating marine pollution and rescuing people in distress. Our legislation, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Act 1990 identifies the key functions we must deliver to the Australian public and the broader maritime industry. We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the country we operate in; we recognise and respect their elders past and present, their continuing culture and their ongoing connection to waters, lands and communities.
Our Corporate Plan details how we achieve our legislated role and our mission. It sets out our strategic priorities, new capabilities, and our core business. We account for our progress internally through quarterly reporting and annual management reviews and externally, in our annual performance statements in our Annual Report. In delivering our mission, AMSA is committed to providing the highest quality services, enhancing our environmental performance, upholding exemplary standards of workplace health and safety, and continually improving the way we do business.
We use an integrated management system to ensure that we achieve our mission and our commitments to each other and our stakeholders. The ongoing commitment to our integrated management system is highlighted through this business policy and certification to three international standards.
AMSA’s Executive is accountable for the effectiveness of and is committed to the continual improvement of the integrated management system. The Executive work with our Health, Safety and Environmental Committee and quality advisors to govern the system.
As an organisation, we:
- celebrate and harness the collective diversity of our people and maintain an inclusive and fair culture,
- comply with applicable local, national and international laws, regulations, standards and codes of practice,
- consult with and encourage participation of workers and their representatives on OHS matters and to create a safe and healthy working environment for the prevention of work- related injury and ill health,
- control hazards and threats using a risk based processes to identify, classify, prioritise, and eliminate the hazards and reduce the threats,
- deliver our planned services and transparent and accountable regulatory decisions,
- demonstrate AMSA’s values of being professional, collaborative, dedicated and accountable, in our interactions with each other and with our customers and stakeholders,
- develop and achieve measurable business goals and targets that seek to manage risks and opportunities in continually improving the organisation, our integrated management system and our services,
- enhance and improve customer satisfaction with our services by listening and engaging with our stakeholders,
- foster a corporate culture that takes advantage of changes in our environment, opportunity and innovation and effectively manages business improvement initiatives,
- identify, implement, and improve the processes and documentation that support our integrated management system in meeting the requirements of the quality, environmental and occupational health and safety standards,
- minimise adverse environmental impacts through monitoring and where possible lowering our resource use, preventing pollution and acknowledging and protecting the environment and biodiversity of our sites, and
- encourage our goods and service suppliers to demonstrate the principles of the quality, environmental and occupational health and safety standards as set out in our contractual arrangements.
As individuals we:
- are responsible for quality, environmental and workplace health and safety practices in our own areas,
- recognise and eliminate hazards in our work environment, and help create a safe work environment,
- minimise our individual impact on the environment,
- maintain documented processes and procedures,
- participate in improvement activities, and
- work closely and cooperatively with each other, contractors, suppliers, clients and stakeholders to understand and meet their needs.
Chief Executive Officer