Exemption 18—Marine Safety (Sail)

This exemption is for people who want to work on a domestic commercial vessel without the required certificate of competency.

You do not need to apply to AMSA for this exemption. 

You will need to keep all the supporting documents on board and ready to be presented to authorities if required.

What this exemption will allow you to do

Exemption 18 will allow you to perform specified duties without a certificate of competency that would be required for specified sailing vessels if you:

  • are at least 16 years of age
  • make a declaration of medical fitness
  • hold an approved first aid certificate
  • hold at least a Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency issued by the Australian Communications and Media Authority, or equivalent qualification.

General training

To be eligible for exemption 18 you must have completed either: 

  • the Elements of Shipboard Safety units of the maritime training package of the Transport & Logistics Industry Skills Council Ltd, or an equivalent program or 
  • the Yachting Australia–Royal Yachting Association (YA-RYA) Safety and Sea Survival course or the International Sailing Federation Offshore personal survival course. 

Note: Yachting Australia is now known as Australian Sailing, and the International Sailing Federation is now known as World Sailing.

Certificates and additional training

If performing the duties of either: 

  • the master of a sailing vessel  less than or equal to 24 metres long, with operating power less than 75 kilowatts up to 100 nautical miles from shore or 
  • the mate of a sailing vessel less than or equal to 35 metres long in the Australian Exclusive Economic Zone or the territorial sea.

You meet one of the following two options:

Option 1 

You held a Master 5 (Sail) certificate on 30 June 2013.

Option 2

You must have completed one of the following courses:

  • TDMMR3007B—Operate and carry out basic service checks on small vessel marine propulsion systems (or equivalent) or MARC005—operate inboard and outboard motors (or equivalent)
  • YA–RYA Diesel Engine course and the YA Powerboat Handling course
  • YA–RYA Diesel Engine course and the RYA Level 2 Powerboat course.

You must also hold one of the following certificates:

  • a YA-RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate of competence
  • a Yachtmaster Ocean certificate of competence
  • an equivalent certificate.

If performing duties of a person operating a sailing vessel less than or equal to 12 metres long with operating power less than 75 kilowatts and less than or equal to 15 nautical miles from shore you must hold either:

  • a YA-RYA Yachtmaster Coastal certificate
  • a Coxswain (Sail) certificate
  • an equivalent certificate.

Legislation and incorporated material

Related information 



Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Last Updated: 

22 January 2020