Consultation—Marine Order 97 (Marine pollution prevention – air pollution) Amendment Order 2019
The POTS Act Amendment Bill is now available at the following link:
The consultation is open until 30 October 2019.
Marine Order 97 (Marine pollution prevention – air pollution) 2013 deals with the prevention of air pollution from vessels and gives effect to MARPOL Regulations for the Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships (Annex VI).
This applies to regulated Australian vessels, domestic commercial vessels, recreational vessels and foreign vessels.
The proposed Amendment Order amends Marine Order 97.
The proposed Marine Order 97 (Marine pollution prevention – air pollution) Amendment Order 2019 will:
- Update the prescribed limit for sulphur content in fuel oil to remove expired limits (effective 1 January 2020).
- Implement provisions for the prohibition of carriage of non-compliant fuel on board (effective 1 March 2020).
- Provide for the use of a MARPOL Annex VI approved equivalent (eg exhaust gas cleaning system (EGCS)) not just inside but also outside an emission control area (ECA) for Australian ships and for foreign ships within Australian waters as an alternative to using compliant fuel.
- Mandate fuel oil non-availability reporting (FONAR) for Australian ships both inside and outside ECAs and foreign ships within Australian waters.
- Clarify requirements related to bunker supply to vessels.
It is intended that the amendments will commence on 1 January 2019 and 1 March 2019 as relevant synchronising with commencement of the Protection of the Sea (POTS) Act Amendment Bill to give effect to the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL) VI amendments.
- Read the draft Marine Order 97 (Marine pollution prevention – air pollution) Amendment Order 2019.
- Read the summary of changes.
How to have your say
Have your say in writing using our public comment form. If using this form, then you can either:
- email the form to email@example.com
- post the form to:
Business Support, Standards
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
GPO Box 2181
Canberra ACT 2601