Equivalent first aid certificates
The National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D, Crew Competencies (PDF 148.55 KB) requires that you hold a certificate that meets the requirements of the HLTFA unit of competency Apply first aid, or another certificate that we consider to be equivalent.
HLTFA0311A Apply first aid has been replaced by HLTAID011 Provide First Aid.
The following certificates are also equivalent to the HLTFA unit of competency Apply first aid:
- A current HLTAID003 Provide first aid.
- A current IMCA Diver medic technician certificate.
- A current certificate of registration under the Medical Board of Australia as a medical practitioner.
- A current APRHA certificate of registration as a nurse or midwife.
- A current Maritime and Coast Guard Agency, medical care on board ship certificate.
- A current HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting.
- A current HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting certificate.
- A current HLTFA412A Apply advanced first aid certificate.
- A current HLTAID014 Provide Advanced First Aid certificate.
- A current HLTAID005 Provide first aid in remote situations certificate.
- A current HLTAID013 Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site certificate.
- A current New Zealand Maritime School Certificate of proficiency in medical first aid in accordance with provisions of regulation VI/1 paragraph 1 (section A VI/4-1) of STCW ’78.
- An Elementary first aid STCW VI/1 and code section A-V1/1, table A-VI/1-3 certificate.
- Medical first aid STCW VI/4 (1) and code section A-VI/4 paragraphs 1 to 3.
- Medical care on board ship STCW VI/4 (2) and code section A-VI/4 paragraphs 4 to 6.
- A current New Zealand First aid certificate unit standards 6400, 6401, 6402 – or refresher training certificate unit standards 6400, 26551, 26522.
- A current Certificate IV in hyperbaric operations (Diver medical technician).
These instructions are summary information only. We make decisions about seafarer certificates under Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency — national law) 2013 and the National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D, Crew Competencies (PDF 148.55 KB). Please refer to these documents for full details of eligibility and other requirements for certificate applications.