Commercial fishing vessels travelling in the exclusive economic zone
The Certificates of survey for the domestic commercial fishing vessels listed below have been recognised under section 320 of the Navigation Act 2012 for the purpose of allowing the vessel to transit between the Australian EEZ around Norfolk Island and the Australian mainland. This is to facilitate fishing in the EEZ and the landing of catch in Australia.
This recognition is subject to the following conditions:
- the operator of the vessel has a valid Certificate of operation and the vessel has a valid Class 3B Certificate for survey issued under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012
- voyages between the EEZ around Norfolk Island and the EEZ around the Australian mainland are to be as direct as practical as permitted by weather conditions
- no fishing activity is permitted outside the EEZ
- the vessel is permitted to fish in EEZ around Norfolk Island under section 4.1(3) of the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Management Plan 2010.
|Vessel||UI or official number||Port of registration||Date of issue||Date of expiry|
|Assassin I||ON 856679||Sydney||1/12/2016||30/11/2021|
|Predator I||ON 857607||Mooloolaba||29/11/2016||28/11/2021|
|Santa Lucia||ON 856923||Sydney||1/12/2016||30/11/2021|
|Sharp Shooter II||24424QB||Mooloolaba||28/10/2016||27/10/2021|
How to apply for recognition
Operators of Class 3B domestic commercial may apply to seek recognition under section 320 of the Navigation Act 2012 for voyages between the Australian EEZ around Norfolk Island and the Australian mainland.
You will need to have:
- current 3B Certificate of survey and the operator's Certificate of operation
- permission to fish in the EEZ around Norfolk Island under section 4.1(3) of the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Management Plan 2010.
You will need to apply to the Shipping Registration Office:
- by post—GPO Box 2181, Canberra ACT 2601
- email Shipping Registration Office
Recognition is issued for a maximum of five years. The fee for service will be charged at A$272 per hour.