Revoking regulated Australian vessel status
As a basic rule all vessel operating beyond the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) must be certified as a RAV. However, there is scope for vessels that held certification by issued by an Australian state and territory maritime authorities before 1 July 2013 to be ‘grandfathered’ to allow them to operate up to 600 nautical miles from the Australian baseline. Using section 19 of the Navigation Act 2012, we may declare the vessels that are permitted to carry out domestic operations beyond the EEZ not to be a RAV. More details are provided in marine notice 09/2013.
Apply for a declaration not to be a RAV
Vessels seeking a declaration not to be a RAV must write to us and provide a copy of the current and valid certificate issued by the Australian state or territory maritime authority.
- Postal address: General Manager, Operations, Australian Maritime Safety Authority, GPO Box 2181 Canberra City ACT 2601 Australia
- Courier address: General Manager, Operations, Australian Maritime Safety Authority, 82 Northbourne Avenue Braddon ACT 2612 Australia
- By email to email@example.com.
Conditions of vessels declared not to be a RAV
The following conditions will apply to vessels issued a declaration under section 19 of the Navigation Act 2012:
- The vessel can only operate up to 600 nautical miles from the Australian baseline, subject to the limitations in the declaration below, provided it complies with the requirements of the National Standard for Commercial Vessels for such operations.
- The vessel must not enter a port of another country, the territorial waters of another country or the EEZ of another country.
- When the certificate of survey identified in the declaration expires, a new certificate must be obtained in accordance with Marine Order 503 (Certificates of survey — national law) 2013 of the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012 for extended offshore operations within the limits identified in the declaration.
Revoking a declaration of vessels that are not a RAV
We will revoke a declaration if:
- The vessel owner applies for a certificate for the vessel covered by section 15(1)(c)(ii) of the Navigation Act 2012.
- The vessel changes the nature of the operation detailed in the certificate of operation issued for the vessel under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2013.
- The vessel does not comply with the conditions of the declaration (see above).
List of declared ships
View the list of vessels declared not to be a RAV.