What is a regulated Australian vessel?
Under section 15 of the Navigation Act 2012, a RAV is any Australian vessel that:
- is registered, required to be registered, or entitled to be registered under the Shipping Registration Act 1981
- is not a recreational vessel, and
- is proceeding on an overseas voyage, or for use on an overseas voyage. An overseas voyage being any voyage beyond the Australian exclusive economic zone (EEZ), or
- has a valid safety certificate issued under the Navigation Act 2012, other than a tonnage certificate, pollution certificates, an anti-fouling system certificate or a Declaration of Maritime Labour Compliance
- has an opt-in declaration in force.