What is a large yacht?
A large yacht is:
- classed as a motor or sailing vessel
- 24 metres or over in load line length
- 150 gross tonnes or more.
A large yacht does not carry:
- more than 12 passengers.
Large yachts may be used:
- privately by the sole operator, friends or family
- commercially hired for charter out to groups or individuals
- commercially for sport
- both private and commercial use.
Certain conventions may apply to large yachts whether it is being used privately or commercially.
The term 'large yacht' relates to the definition taken from The Large Commercial Yacht Code—3rd edition (also known as the LY3 Code) and is implemented in Australia using Marine Order 52 (Yachts and training vessels) 2016.