All certificates and training must comply with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) and be with an organisation we have approved.
If you are revalidating your certificate and you are an overseas permanent resident, some STCW short courses may be completed in a country we have an agreement with.
With required sea service
If you already have the required sea service, you will need to:
- Obtain a letter(s) from your employer(s) confirming:
- sea service
- your participation in the mandatory abandon ship and fire drills required by SOLAS
- your participation in scheduled drills required by the on board Safety Management System (see sample template letter).
- Keep the original of this letter and send us a copy with your application.
- Complete continued competence refresher training for the STCW short courses in Advanced fire fighting and Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats in the previous 5 years.
These refresher courses are valid for up to 5 years, but can only be used once for revalidation purposes.
Note: Seafarers are to ensure that their continued competence refresher training in sea survival and fire fighting remains current throughout the validity of their CoC, CoP or COST. This also applies to holders of a Certificate of Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats.
Without required sea service
If you do not have the required sea service, you will need to complete the full STCW short courses in:
- Advanced fire fighting
- Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats.
Read more about approved training organisations and revalidating your current certificate.