Studying in Australia

Find out what you need to do to study maritime courses in Australia.

If you live in a country other than Australia or New Zealand, you can attend maritime courses at AMSA approved colleges in Australia under the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) to gain an STCW certification.

We provide certification of maritime qualifications for all crew members on Australian ships operating under the Navigation Act 2012 to meet Australia’s obligations under STCW. Our STCW certification allows seafarers to work in unlimited operational areas around the world, including within and beyond Australian waters and the economic exclusive zone.

These procedures apply to:

  • Masters and deck officers
  • Engineer officers
  • Ratings.

The specific Australian standards and regulations are set out in marine orders which are made under Australian laws, and they apply to Australian and foreign vessels and seafarers.

The relevant marine orders for AMSA certification are:

Before proceeding with an application to study in Australia, it is strongly recommended that you read the marine order relevant to the qualification you wish to gain. Read more about the marine orders relevant to your qualifications.

Related information

Important disclaimer

These instructions are summary information only. If you need formal assessment for a qualification, you must apply in writing to us using Seafarer form 419. We will not process any applications that do not include all required documents in their original form, or are true certified copies. If you have forgotten to provide any documents, or have not provided originals or certified copies, you may need to pay a new application charge.

How to take a maritime course in Australia

Last updated: 

Thursday 13 February 2020