Closing a registration

Find out about how to close a registration.

If you are the legal owner of a ship that is not required to be registered, and you no longer require registration for your vessel then you can make an application to close your registration. A form is available for this.

If your Australian registered vessel is no longer entitled to be registered, you must give us notice in writing.

Your ship ceases to be entitled when:

  • it is sold to a non-Australian
  • it is lost, burnt, broken up, or taken by an enemy.

When you write to us you should include details of the circumstances and when the event happened. 

Ships not required to be registered

To make an application to close a ship registration, you need to:

Ships no longer entitled to be registered

To close the registration of a ship no longer entitled to Australian registration, you need to:

Last updated: 

Friday 7 July 2023