Published on Australian Maritime Safety Authority (

Certificate of competency application


Please download a new form for each application you make so we send you the right certificate and charge you the right fee.

You need to let us know if you move house - contact us to give us your new address.

AMSA form 426 is used for domestic or near coastal qualification applications. For international marine qualifications use AMSA form 419.

You can use this form to:

Temporary crewing permit

Pending AMSA assessment and approval, you may be eligible to apply to operate temporarily outside of the conditions of your certificate of competency, or while you wait for your certificate to be renewed.
Your employer can apply to us for a temporary crewing permit by completing and submitting a temporary crewing form 779 and a copy of the risk assessment to
Your employer will also need to provide evidence that you have submitted a renewal application with Australia Post - an Australia Post lodgement receipt number - before the temporary crewing application will be considered. 

If approved, a temporary crewing permit can only be issued for up to a maximum of 90 days.

How to complete this form

The 426 form is an interactive online form. As you complete it, the form will generate the application requirements specific to your certificate of competency and application type.

For example, if you want to apply for a new Master less than 24 metres near coastal certificate select Master <24m NC from the drop down menu for Certificate of competency type then select New certificate from the drop down menu for Certificate application type. Your responses to these 2 items will automatically populate the application form with the declarations you need, the attachments checklist and the fee required for your specific certificate of competency and application type (in this case a new certificate of competency for Master less than 24 metres near coastal).

You can complete the form:

If you are unable to access or download the application form please contact AMSA Connect.

Documents you will need

First aid certificate. This must be less than 3 years old and needs to show that you completed the HLTAID011 Provide First Aid unit of competency, not just the annual cardiopulmonary resuscitation unit. Check the equivalent first aid certificates we accept.

All AMSA certificate of competency applications require a current first aid certificate.

Documents you might need

The checklist of the documents you must supply is in the “Attachments” section of your form. The checklist changes depending on what you are applying for, but we need all the documents with a check box. You must tick the box against each attachment indicating that you have attached it. 

Please do not attach original documents to your application. Copies of documents are accepted, and those copies do not have to be certified.

Submitting the form

Lodging your application with Australia Post

You must lodge your application in person at an AMSA-contracted Australia Post outlet.

If you live in a remote rural location or cannot access an Australia Post outlet, please contact AMSA Connect. Under exceptional circumstances, we can offer an accessible service for people who cannot access an Australia Post outlet.

Australia Post will:

If you have not fully completed the form and attached all the required documents Australia Post will not accept your application. Read our incomplete application policy.


More information

After you submit your application

When we receive your application, we will send you an email letting you know we have it.

If we request further documentation:

Low complexity certificates: Once we have approved your application your certificate of competency will be issued and mailed to the delivery address given on your application form. We will also email you an interim certificate of competency. If you haven’t given us an email address, you will not get an interim certificate of competency in this way and you will need to wait for your certificate to arrive in the post.

High complexity certificates: Once we have assessed your application you will be invited to contact AMSA Connect to arrange your final assessment.

Please allow at least 30 days for your certificate to be issued. We take steps to verify documents and sea service. Issue of your certificate of competency may be delayed where we cannot verify information provided to us. 

Lodgement of an application does not automatically entitle you to a certificate of competency or renewal of your certificate. It also does not indicate acceptance of your sea service.

Moving house—remember to let us know

If you have applied for a certificate of competency and move house while we are assessing your application, you need to tell us. This will avoid any delays with you receiving your certificate. Just call or email AMSA Connect.

If you already have a certificate of competency, you must let us know within 21 days if you change your name or address.

There may be an additional cost if we need to reissue your certificate to a different address.

Access the form