Exemption 13—Marine Safety (Wildlife or other sightseeing)
This exemption is for people who want to work on a domestic commercial vessel being used for a wildlife or other sightseeing operation in inland waters.
You can apply to us for a wildlife or other sightseeing operation exemption by completing and submitting an application for wildlife or other sightseeing exemption (AMSA 791).
What this exemption will allow you to do
Exemption 13 allows you to participate in a wildlife or other sightseeing operation in inland waters without the required certificate of competency.
To be approved for Exemption 13, we must consider that you are capable of being the master of a vessel that is:
- less than 12 metres long
- powered by an inboard engine of less than 100 kilowatts, or by an outboard engine of unlimited power.
You must restrict the operation of your vessel to a speed of less than 10 knots during the operation.
We may impose additional restrictions on your operation depending on the condition of the waters you are operating in.
Legislation and incorporated material
- Application for wildlife or other sightseeing exemption form 791
- Certificate of competency exemptions extended to 2020
- Fees, levies, and payments
- Tenders and auxiliary vessels
- Exemption 13 – In force 1 July 2013 (PDF 92.87 KB)