Exemption 25—Marine Safety (Old certificates of competency—local restrictions)
This exemption is for people who have an old certificate of competency and do not wish to comply with a condition on that certificate.
You can apply for approval under Exemption 25 by completing and submitting the Miscellaneous form (AMSA 758).
What this exemption will allow you to do
Exemption 25 exempts a person from complying with a condition imposed on their old certificate of competency that restricts them to specific duties, or to an area of a state or the Northern Territory.
An old certificate of competency is a state or Northern Territory maritime safety authority certificate of competency that was issued:
- before 1 July 2013—for a certificate in force immediately before 1 July 2013
- before 1 January 2014—for a certificate applied for before 1 July 2013, but for which the application was not finally determined by 1 July 2013.
To be eligible for this exemption you must have received written approval from AMSA for the duties to be performed without the condition.
Legislation and incorporated material
- Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency—national law)
- National Standard for Commercial Vessels
- Marine Order 504 (Certificates of operation and operation requirements—national law)
- Miscellaneous form (for matters not covered by other forms) form 758
- Domestic qualifications
- Certificates of operation
- Fees, levies, and payments
- Tenders and auxiliary vessels