Certificate of competency application
Please download a new form for each application you make so we send you the right certificate and charge you the right fee.
You need to let us know if you move house. You can call us to give us your new address or send us an email at AMSAConnect@amsa.gov.au
You can use this form to:
- apply for a new certificate
- revalidate your certificate
- apply for replacement of your lost, stolen or damaged certificate
- apply for a national law equivalent to your old certificate
- remove a restriction from your certificate
- add an endorsement to your certificate
- change your name on your certificate.
Special arrangements for renewing certificates in:
How to complete this form
This form is an interactive online form. As you complete it, the form will generate the application requirements specific to your certificate of competency and application type.
For example, if you want to apply for a new Master less than 24 metres near coastal certificate select Master <24m NC from the drop down menu for Certificate of competency type then select New certificate from the drop down menu for Certificate application type. Your responses to these two items will automatically populate the application form with the declarations you need, the attachments checklist and the fee required for your specific certificate of competency and application type (in this case a new certificate of competency for Master less than 24 metres near coastal).
You can complete the form:
- online or
- by completing steps 1 and 2 below, downloading a pdf version of the form, printing it out and completing it by hand. If you do not complete steps 1 and 2 the form will not download.
If you are unable to access or download the application form please contact AMSA Connect.
Documents you might need
- First aid certificate. This must be less than 3 years old and needs to show that you completed the HLTAID011 Provide First Aid unit of competency. You can check other first aid units we accept here.
- Eyesight test certificate. This must be less than 2 years old. We can accept an AMSA STCW medical if you already have one.
- Certificate of medical fitness. This must be less than 2 years old. We can accept an AMSA STCW medical if you already have one.
- Course completion certificate. We need the certificate that says what course you finished, not just the list of units you completed.
- AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA). This must be less than 1 year old and match the course completion certificate. We need the front page and it must be signed by the person who assessed you.
- Radio licence issued by ACMA. If you can’t find your radio licence you can contact the Office of Maritime Communications for a copy.
- Sea service. We prefer that you record your sea service on a Record of sea service form.
- Copy of both sides of your current certificate. If you are revalidating or replacing a certificate this helps us make sure we don’t miss any information that should be on your new certificate.
The checklist of the documents you must supply is in the Attachments section of your form. The checklist changes depending on what you are applying for but we need all of the documents with a check box. You must tick the box against each attachment indicating that you have attached it.
Please do not attach original documents to your application. Copies of documents do not have to be certified.
Submitting the form
You can lodge your application at one of the participating Australia post outlets. If you are completing a training course, some registered training organisations can submit your application for you.
If you live in a remote rural location or cannot access an Australia Post outlet, please contact AMSA Connect.
Lodging your application with Australia Post
You must lodge your application in person at an AMSA-contracted Australia post outlet.
If you have an interim certificate of competency you must lodge your completed certificate of competency application within seven days of issue of the interim certificate of competency.
Australia Post will:
- Check your form is complete. This includes making sure you have included your middle name(s) if you have them and checking that you have attached the documents named in the checklist.
- Take payment of the application fee. Payment may be made by credit card, cash or EFTPOS. Australia Post will provide you with a tax invoice and attach a payment record to your application. Please note the payment record is not a tax invoice and we will not be able to provide you with a tax invoice if you misplace the one provided by Australia Post.
- Take your photograph free of charge and attach it to your application
- Check you have signed the Declaration and consent.
- Check your identity using our proof of identity requirements.
- Submit your application to AMSA.
If you have not fully completed the form and attached all of the required documents Australia Post will not accept your application. Read our incomplete application policy.
Lodging your application with a registered training organisation
The following registered training organisations have an agreement with us to submit certificate of competency applications for new certificates on behalf of their students:
- Australian Boat Schools
- Australian Maritime College
- Charles Darwin University
- Marine Training Services
- Maritime and Safety Training (NSW Fishing industry training committee)
- Paradigm Training Group
- Queensland Maritime Training Services
- Sea School International
- Seafood Training Tasmania
- Serco Defence
- Superyacht Crew Academy (Club Sail)
These organisations will:
- Confirm your identity by sighting original documents and recording the document type(s) on the last page of your application form.
- Attach a passport standard photo of you in the appropriate space on the application form.
- Check your application form is complete, including your middle name(s) if you have them.
- Confirm that all of the required attachments, as listed on the application form, are attached to the application form.
- Confirm that your evidence of sea service matches the sea service declaration you have made on the application form.
- Forward your certificate application to us.
- Pay the application fee on your behalf.
When we receive your application, we will send you an email letting you know we have it.
Do not submit your documents separately. If you do not provide all of the documents from your checklist processing of your application may be delayed.
For low complexity certificates, once we have approved your application your certificate of competency will be issued and mailed to the delivery address given on your application form. We will also email you an interim certificate of competency. If you haven’t given us an email address you won’t get an interim certificate of competency and you will need to wait for your certificate to arrive in the post.
Please allow at least 30 days for your certificate to be issued. Note that assessment of your application may take longer due to the additional process involved for us to obtain verification of documents submitted.
Lodgement of an application does not automatically entitle you to a certificate of competency or revalidation of your certificate. It also does not indicate acceptance of your sea service.
Moving house—remember to let us know
If you have applied for a certificate of competency and move house while we are assessing your application you need to tell us. This will avoid any delays with you receiving your certificate.
If you already have a certificate of competency you must let us know within 21 days if you change your name or address.
There may be an additional cost if we need to reissue your certificate to a different address.