Update to exemption 07—temporary operations
Monday 26 February 2018
Exemption 07 allows vessel owners to apply to AMSA to operate temporarily without a certificate of survey, certificate of operation or load line certificate.
From 1 April 2018, updates to Exemption 07 (Temporary operations) will expand the kinds of circumstances in which vessel owners may seek our approval to operate without a certificate of survey, certificate of operation or load line certificate. In some circumstances, an owner will be able to obtain a temporary operations approval from an accredited marine surveyor.
Examples of when Exemption 07 may apply
- When moving the vessel to enable the building, disposing of, fitting out, relocating, removing, repair of the vessel or for the purpose of obtaining a certificate.
- New vessels undergoing the sea-trial phase of commissioning*.
- Owners wishing to operate a vessel after the initial survey has been successfully completed, but before the certificate of survey has been issued.
- Vessels operating while minor non-conformances are being rectified after periodic survey (except renewal survey)*.
- When an owner is waiting on us to decide on an application for renewal of a certificate *.
- Vessels operating temporarily outside the scope of their certificate.
- Other limited circumstances approved by us.
* An accredited marine surveyor or recognised organisation may approve temporary operations
For more information read the summary of changes to Exemption 07.