Domestic seafarer or crew

To work on a commercial vessel in Australia you need a current certificate of competency or an exemption.

Types of qualifications

There are different certificates that will allow you to perform different duties on board a vessel in Australian or international waters. 

Find out about getting the right:


Steps to getting a certificate of competency

There are a few steps you will need to take to obtain a certificate of competency for a domestic seafarer qualification. 

Read through the steps.

Interim certificates of competency

If you are keen to start your new duties immediately after you have passed your assessment, you may be able to get an interim certificate. 

Find out how to go about doing this and what the requirements are.

Perpetual certificates of competency

Find out what you need to do if you have a perpetual certificate rather than a certificate issued under the National Law.

Read about perpetual certificates.

Schedule of charges for domestic certificates

Find out how much you will need to pay for a variety of tasks including obtaining your certificate or renewing or updating one.

Read our list of charges.

Seafarer welfare

You can report health and safety concerns to us. Under the Maritime Labour Convention, if you cannot resolve operational health and safety issues using the onboard ship procedures, you can contact us for help. 

Find out about: 


Training organisations for AMSA approved practical assessments

Find a list of registered training organisations (RTOs) that are approved to conduct AMSA approved practical assessments (AMPA) for domestic certificates.

The list is organised by state or territory of registration.

Find an RTO to conduct your assessment

Qualifying sea service

Check the qualifying near coastal sea service information to find out more about sea service requirements for domestic qualifications.

Task books

You can use a task book to record your sea service, training and experience on board a vessel. 

Read more about using and purchasing task books.

Marine radio qualifications

You must hold a marine radio operator certificate of proficiency for all domestic qualifications. 

Find out about how to obtain this qualification.

Certificate of safety training

The Certificate of safety training (COST) is the first international qualification you need to become a seafarer.

Find out about the COST certificate.

Specialist training for safety and navigation

Find out how to train to be a coastal pilot or a vessel traffic service operator or handle dangerous goods.

We provide information about specialist training courses for these professions.

Last updated: 26 October 2020